Specialist solicitors to the construction and engineering industries
Search the site
About Us - Our Experience
Hawkswell Kilvington has a wealth of experience in dealing with issues that arise in the construction and engineering industries. We have dealt with issues arising out of office developments, industrial units, retail centres, hospitals, schools and colleges, airports, power plants, chemical processing and infrastructure projects. Our incredibly diverse client base allows us to understand our clients’ problems from all perspectives.
The following are typical of the matters we have successfully handled:
- Representing a specialist steelwork contractor in a series of successful adjudications against a water utility provider, which resulted in our client being awarded circa £500,000.
- Acting for a sub-contractor in a complex adjudication regarding extensions of time, loss and expense and the sub-contractor’s right of termination, which resulted in our client being awarded circa £2,000,000.
- Successfully defending a flooring sub-contractor in adjudication proceedings brought against it by a main contractor in relation to alleged defects in a supermarket floor.
Litigation in the Technology and Construction Court
- Enforcement of adjudicators’ decisions, such as the recent case of CRJ Services Ltd v Lanstar Ltd.
- Acting for a specialist steelwork contractor in a trial of preliminary issues concerning the correct terms of a sub-contract.
- Acting for a sub-contractor in defending the enforcement of an adjudicator’s decision on the grounds that it was issued out of time.
- Defending a main contractor in a final account arbitration brought against it by a specialist sub-contractor.
- Acting on behalf of an international geotechnical company in an ICC arbitration involving a multimillion dollar claim brought by a main contractor in relation to the construction of a highway in the Caribbean.
- Representing a main contractor in a mediation relating to a dispute about the value of variations to its works and facilitating a settlement.
- Acting for a global geotechnical consultancy in relation to a $31m claim against an offshore engineering sub-contractor which was settled satisfactorily in mediation.
- Acting for a main contractor in resolving a final account dispute with one of its sub-contractors on a commercially sensitive project.
- Resolving a multi-million pound claim between a main contractor and an employer.
- Drafting a series of bespoke contracts for use by a gas network operator in carrying out circa £500m of maintenance work over an 8 year period.
- Acting for a retail fit-out contractor in negotiating the terms of a £22m framework agreement for the provision of design and project management services to a bank in relation to the refurbishment of its branches across Europe.
- Acting for a consortium of property developers in drafting and negotiating all of the construction documentation for a new community development involving the construction of over 5,000 homes, together with a new link road and a by-pass.
- Drafting a bespoke framework agreement and consultancy and sub-contract documents directly stepped down from the Department of Health’s Procure 21+ template main contract documentation.
- Acting for a police authority in defending a claim from an unsuccessful tenderer for a new construction project.